Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Perfect Pie Crust

If there is one thing that I would be famous for (according to my family) would be my apple pie! It was requested by my family members that I make an apple pie for Thanksgiving. I am having my mom's Thanksgiving tomorrow and I wanted to go ahead and make the pie crust so that it would be ready in the morning. Here is my recipe for a buttery pie crust. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T EAT ALL THE DOUGH before you bake it! It's tempting, I promise.

The Perfect Pie Crust
Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup ice water

Directions:

1. Measure out the water and then put it in a cup and in the freezer and allow it to "chill"
2. Place the flour and salt in your mixer. I use a KitchenAid Mixer with the Dough attachment. I believe that the reason most people's pie crust never turns out is because they put too much or too little amount of salt. I believe that I have come up with the perfect amount. Go ahead and turn on the mixer to the lowest setting (1 or 2) and keep it on.
3. Dice up the butter.
4. You are going to want to add the diced butter a little at a time. I usually do 3-4 pieces and then let it mix for 20-30 seconds before I add more. The mixture will start to get clumpy and bunch up on the sides. Use a spatula or a wooden spoon to push the mixture back down.
5. Once all the butter is added, wait until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs before adding the chilled water.
6. Add the chilled water a tablespoon at a time in intervals, so that you don't add too much. Once the dough starts to come together, reduce the amount of water you add until it forms a ball. You might not use all the water, that is okay.
7. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
8. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More